Thursday, January 19, 2006

Just Call Me Sonia

Norwegian Skater, Sonia Henie and Partner
I've been working on my Crochet-A-Long for the vintage headband and muff set. I must say, the headband is coming out nicely. I only have one more flower to crochet and attach to the band.
After I tried on the headband, I immediately thought about Sonia Henie, the Norwegian ice-skating star of the 1930's and '40's. I used to watch her movies on TV when I was a kid. Movies like "Sun Valley Serenade," "Iceland" and "Wintertime." Most of these movies had impossibly silly plots where Sonia played some sort of international ice princess, smitten with an American guy. The stories were bad, but the costumes and ice-skating were always magnificent!
Sonia usually wore some sort of head gear to keep her blonde locks from getting into her face while twirling on the ice. This was way before Dorothy Hamill wore her skate-wedge hairdo. In each movie, Sonia's headgear was more and more elaborate. She wasn't much of an actor, but she had a very sweet face and dimpled smile and was a mesmerizing skate performer! A tip of the headband to you, Sonia Henie!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 2:35 PM PST, Blogger Lori said...

Oooh Ellen! I hope you bring the headband to SnB--I wanna see it in person!

 
At 3:26 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Lori!
I'll probably wear the headband tonight. It will keep my ears nice and toasty.

 
At 5:01 PM PST, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

You need some skates.

 
At 10:39 PM PST, Blogger carlita dee said...

And Sonia, of course, has the most to do with those teeny little skirts the skaters wear. :)

I declare the headband good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery