Monday, August 21, 2006

Velaslavasay Panorama

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Velaslavasay Panorama

On Sunday, Larry and I attended the Ice Cream Sociable at the new-ish Velaslavasay Panorama. and Gardens. The owner of the Panorama is Sara Velas. Sara is an artist. She is currently working on the Panorama painting. At the Panorama's previous location in Hollywood, the painting was called The Valley of the Smokes. It was a rendition of what Los Angeles looked like over 200 years ago, in the round. It was a very moving painting. I believe that the subject matter for the new painting has something to do with the arctic. It's sure to be just as beautiful and inspirational as the painting in the former Panorama.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Gazebo in the Panorama Garden

The building where the Panorama is now housed is on 24th Street, between Hoover and Vermont, near USC. It was originally an old movie theater. Later it was used as a playhouse and acting school. It's final use was as the Tile Union Hall, hence the magnificent tile on the exterior of the building. There's an informative article about the Panorama building here.
Director, Sara Velas is obsessed with Victorian entertainment. There was a lot of it on Sunday. When we arrived at the Panorama, we could hear music emanating from the garden. Charlie Cox was playing his banjo and singing for the crowd.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

the tuneful Charlie Cox

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chris Nichols, Larry Underhill and guests

Mashti Malone was serving their original ice cream and pomegranate sherbet. Erik Newman, "the reluctant avaitor" was readying his infernal bicycle aerial machine.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Erik Newman

Surprise guests, ukulele player David Barlia and his female dancer companion, The Pooka Child, of the Bilgewater Brothers Band serenaded us for a few select tunes.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Pooka Child and David Barlia
There was a magician performing tricks.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


All in all, it was a mildly entertaining afternoon. I should have brought my knitting.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 10:47 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen --

You are so tuned in and find the most interesting things to do! BTW, I was tempted to go to the estate sale for those metal tumblers. I decided they would be gone & I would just be spending money and getting more "stuff."

-- Jo Anne

 
At 11:13 AM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

You SHOULD have brought your ukelele!!!

That looks like so much fun; I would have spent the whole time in the gazebo. Just one question, tho - Is Pooka Child human or mannequin?

 
At 11:15 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hey Jo Anne! I hear you about those tumblers. Nowadays, I mostly take photos of the junk instead of buying it. My house is overflowing with vintage 'crap.'

Monkeygurrl...I considered bringing my ukulele, but I'm really not up to performance standards yet. Pooka Child is indeed human, but tries to look mannequin-like.

 
At 1:23 PM PDT, Blogger Ana Petrova said...

Ellen, you lead the most exciting life!
Thanks for sharing, I feel like I've been to this event with you.

 
At 4:05 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ellen, that's me, Suzette Stambler, in the green hat in the last photo from your post of August 21, 2006 on the Velaslavasy Panorama Ice Cream Social. I introduced myself to you last Friday night at the Charles Phoenix show at the Ford. I really enjoy your L.A.- and crochet-centric blog. Your paintings are great too. See you around!
Suzette

 
At 4:26 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Suzette!

Thanks for the blog-compliments!

Nice photo of you!!! I'm sure I'll be seeing you around town at other L.A. events!

Are you going to Clifton's Cafeteria on Saturday 5/26, 10 am for the L.A. Restaurant Historical Society meeting?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery