Saturday, February 24, 2007

Stitches West - Day 3

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Ellen's Stripe Homework
Another busy class day for me. 8am, Sally Melville's "Stripes & Stripes that Aren't." Excellent class! We covered tech-y stuff like knitting vs. weaving in tails; we talked about viewing possibilities and color/texture combos; stripes and how they work in a garment and how to knit various types of stripes that are horizontal, but actually look vertical.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sally's Sample of Windowpane Knitting Using Ribbon and Mohair
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sally, Modeling One of her Creations
Sally is really a fabulous teacher. If she ever comes to your town to teach, register for the class....you'll learn a lot.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
3 Ladies in Their Sally Capelets, Noro Yarn

After class it was time for lunch. I checked the bar to see if I could find any of the other L.A. contingent. They were nowhere to be found...probably shopping in the Market Place. I was really tired of hotel food, so I jumped in my car and drove to the nearby In 'n Out Burger. It was delicious and about 20 bazillion dollars less than lunch at the Hyatt.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My afternoon class was with Debbie New was called "Cellular Automaton Knitting." Huh? For some reason, I had in my mind that we'd be learning Debbie's biomorphic freeform knitting. Nope. This was way more mathematic and resulted in triangular textures or colors. Part of the description, "Cellular automata are systems where each small unit behaves according to a rule applied to the conditions in its immediate surroundings." So, you can make your own rules, then you have to stick to those rules for the pattern. It's difficult to explain. I'm glad that I learned about this system of knitting, but I may not use it soon..maybe later.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Debbie's Octagon Baby Sweater - Cellular Circle
I met up with the group for drinks in the bar later and for the Student Fashion Show and dinner. There were door prizes, an OK dinner and excellent fashions. I'm exhausted and hope to have an uneventful drive home tomorrow before the Oscar pre-shows!

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 11:36 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen!!! I'm busy downloading onto my new ipod. I love all your posts from SW, and am thrilled that you could keep us so up-to-date on all your activities.

The Sally Melville dyeing idea is terrific. I might just try that sometime.

Well, time to transfer an audiobook, and watch Sarah Silverman. Jeesh, this techy stuff can sure take up a lot of time.

Have a safe drive home.

xo

 
At 4:23 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen, I am so glad you are having a wonderful time. I want to thank you for all the interesting writing and pictures from Stitches. It was fun reading all about it. Glad you met up with my Friends from Pasadena area-they are alot of fun.

Have a beautiful and safe drive home.

 
At 7:35 AM PST, Blogger carlita dee said...

I was so looking forward to the vicarious thrill of Debbie's class but dang it sounds over my head. Seems like Sally's more my speed. Ah, well.

It's been much fun reading about your escapades at Stitches. :)

Drive home safely!

 
At 8:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like Sally's class was wonderful. I am definately stalking her classes and if she ever comes anywhere in Calif. I am so there. Good job on keeping everyone updated on SW events, what organization! Next year I plan on being there all weekend!!

 
At 10:55 AM PST, Blogger Yarnartist said...

Hi Ellen, Thanks for sharing your wonderful reports from SW. I have met Sally and adore her books. Also took 2 classes at Black Sheep from Debbie New. She is such a genius, but I must confess, for me the cellular thing was a little too left brain. The other class, though, from pages 8-9, 'Just Knit Until it's Big Enough', was wonderful!

 
At 5:17 PM PST, Blogger Lisa said...

Sounds like so much fun and a great opportunity to expand your knitting universe. Plus of course- THE YARN!
When will this happen again in sunny SoCal?

 
At 10:06 AM PST, Blogger mary said...

Whew! I'm exhausted reading and reliving all of the great times. What a boatload of fun we had! Do you mind if I save our group picture on my hard drive and use it in my blog... credits to you, of course.

 
At 11:09 AM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Mary!
It was great getting to know you and the rest of the Pasadena, Altadena, Sierra Madre, Monrovia, Glendale contingent of SnBr's!
We must try to make it to each other's SnB meetings once in awhile!

Of course you can use any photos on my blog you like.

 
At 11:19 AM PST, Blogger Madge said...

Ellen!!! So great to hang with you at Stitches.

Love your recap of the weekend. And your stealth photos.

We must reunion!

 
At 3:32 PM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

Debbie New?!!!
LUCKY!

 
At 4:15 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took two classes with Debbie last summer and loved them both. The one you took is one that I'd love to take in the future!

Oh, and I made such and *ss out of myself in front of Sally Mellville in San Diego last month. Hopefully she didn't look at my nametag too closely...

You had such a great time! Good for you!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery