Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Finished Item!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Yes, I do have gazillions of projects started, but I did finish one last night. I had ripped out my crocheted burgundy cardigan, 'cause it was just too bulky for bulky ol' me. I decided to knit a top-down version. It's finished! I like it. It's comfy.
I used Caron Simply Soft Shadows ("Autumn"), size 10 circular needles. Garter stitch for the yoke. Once I reached the correct measurement for the yoke, I switched to my Size G crochet hook and crocheted a shell pattern for the bottom of the cardigan. For the sleeves, I crocheted a grid/filet pattern. I bordered the sleeves with the same shell pattern as the body of the sweater. I couldn't decide on a collar. Then, as I was knitting yet another Melville scarf, I decided to just modify the scarf idea for a sweater closure. I picked up the stitches at the neck edge, then added on 65 stitches at either end and garter stitched a scarf/collar. I also edged the "scarf" with a crocheted shell motif. I steamed the sweater a bit and now I can actually wear something (other than a scarf) that I made. Amazing!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Filet Crochet Sleeve
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Versatile Scarf/Collar
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Crocheted Shell Design

I really do like combining knitting with crochet. I have found that certain garments do fit better when they are knit. I do like the thickness of crochet for the body of a sweater though.
I'm so jazzed by this sweater that I immediately started another one with some of my newly acquired stash from Black Sheep Knittery. More, later.

Labels:

16 Comments:

At 6:25 PM PDT, Blogger Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

Your sweater turned out very nice! I like the look of crochet and knit used in the same piece too. There is a combo sweater in the most recent issue of Interweave Crochet that I bet you'd like.

 
At 6:35 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Fern,
Thanks for the compliments. Yes, I do have the latest "Interweave Crochet" and I do like the pattern using knit and crochet. I've been doing that for years! I like how knitting drapes, but knitting is too slow for me sometimes, so I switch to crochet when I get impatient to finish a project!

 
At 6:35 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:28 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

You are amazing!
I love the color and can't wait to see it LIVE!

 
At 9:32 PM PDT, Blogger mary said...

It looks wonderful! Great job incorporating knit and crochet.

 
At 9:42 PM PDT, Blogger WineGrrl said...

Groovay!

 
At 11:11 PM PDT, Blogger Monique Marie Sauniere said...

This looks great, Ellen! I love it. Make me one? ;-)

 
At 6:50 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sweater!! I'm jealous but very happy for you. It looks great.

MX

 
At 7:35 AM PDT, Blogger Candice said...

Absolutely fabulous! And the colors on you are quite stunning. You have inspired me to try something similar. I, too, both knit and crochet. Mixing the two techniques in a pattern is a great way to get a truly refined and functional garment. Your sweater is one of the best examples that I have seen of this. Well done!!!

 
At 9:03 AM PDT, Blogger jillian said...

Looks fabulous! The color, fit and style are all winners on you!

 
At 2:29 PM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

Brilliant pairing of knit and crochet, Miss E. You're beautiful in your new sweater!

 
At 12:50 PM PDT, Blogger Ana Petrova said...

That is just fab! I love the color and the sleeves!

Now that I'm a big fan of crochet maybe you can teach me a couple of your great sts.

Happy Knitting,

 
At 4:12 PM PDT, Blogger carlita dee said...

Ellen! This is one smashing sweater! I LOVE the colors, as you know. The scarf/collar is so very vintage and clever -- LOVE that, too. And what a great marriage of knitting and crochet. Looks too fab on you!

 
At 2:08 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truly beautiful! you did a great job, I love knit and crochet combo's!

 
At 2:59 PM PDT, Blogger Stephknits3 said...

Great job! Beautiful sweater! Very inspiring!

 
At 4:34 PM PDT, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

It looks mahvehlous dahling! You know I love those projects with knitting and crochet. Just groovy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery