Friday, February 15, 2008

Altered Paint-By-Numbers

In keeping with my post about Thrift Store artwork, today I'm posting some altered paint-by-numbers by various Los Angeles artists. We attended this show in downtown Culver City a year ago. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the gallery or many of the artists, and my photos are slightly wonky, but I do know that the artists participating in altering various vintage paint-by-numbers canvases are part of the low-brow art scene.
The idea was to show the original vintage painting in a photo below the altered version. This is a grand way to update your thrift shop finds. Some of these "new" paintings are hilarious. Some are darkly disturbing. I love them all.
3-Day Weekend Plans:
Yayyy! For many of us it's a 3-day weekend....President's Day. When I was in grade school, we got to celebrate Lincoln's b-day (2/12) and Washington's b-day (2/22) separately, on the exact DAY. I do miss those times.
We're not going out of town. Los Angeles is a tourist destination. We may go see the new BCAM at LACMA. We'll be in Pasadena on Saturday morning....always a fun City. We've got brunch on Sunday with some out-of-town family members. Monday, I may just meet up with the Eastside Girls for some serious knittage. We'll play it by ear. Have a marvelous weekend!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 4:10 PM PST, Blogger mehitabel said...

Now I wish I had kept some of those old paint-by-numbers from way back when--I can just imagine how they'd look now!
This Eastside Goil is looking forward to Monday, woo hoo! Knittage!!

 
At 5:33 PM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

I love the paint by number interpretations. I want to do a paint by numbers painting. I never have before. Can you still get them at the drug store?

 
At 9:14 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the altered paint by numbers - wish I could have caught that show. I really need to get out (west) more!

 
At 11:19 AM PST, Blogger Madge said...

LOVE those recycled PBNs. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Hope to see ya Monday!

 
At 8:59 PM PST, Anonymous george clooney fan said...

Enjoyed reading this post, and looking at the artwork! Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery