Monday, April 21, 2008

Excellent Seder

Passover Seder Table

On Saturday, Larry and I, along with my Mom and Step-Dad and my Auntie Mae drove out to my cousin's house in Valencia for our family Passover Seder. Total count this year: 26 people!!! Yikes! It was crowded, but everything turned out beautifully.

Our menu was the same as in past years. We've really perfected all of our specialties. Basically, my cousins, Marilyn and Carolyn and I cooked everthing. Auntie Roz (my Mom) and Auntie Mae (Marilyn's and Carolyn's Mom) brought many of the extras (dessert, dishware, wine). I added a new cover to our Haggadah this year. The Haggadah is the "script" that we all read, telling the story of the Exodus. For this year's cover, I found a great picture of Charleton Heston in the role of "Moses".....very colorful.


Whenever we have these family gatherings, it brings home the fact that my Dad, George, isn't with us any longer. He wasn't particularly religious, but he always enjoyed being with the whole family. We also missed my Uncle Marvin, who passed away recently. He always rejoiced when the family celebrated together. There were a few cousins who couldn't attend too. Hopefully, they will make it next year. The rest of us sang songs, ate, visited and had a good time.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 3:53 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy does that food look yummy! What a great family event.

I tried having a seder one year, but it was so complicated because my MIL sent me some old Haggadah booklets that some coffee company gives out every year on the east coast (or at least they used to). We were starving after reading all that stuff; I think we actually gave up half-way through.

I've since found an extremely shortened script on the internet, but have yet to have another seder.

Christine G.

 
At 3:53 PM PDT, Blogger susanc said...

Ellen:

It looks and sounds like you had a wonderful time. The food especially looks faboo! Thank you for sharing your family's Passover Seder with us.

Susan

 
At 6:03 PM PDT, Blogger carlita dee said...

So warm and lovely. And anytime you miss and remember your dad, he lives on, which is lovely too.

By the way, you're really making me want in on this seder action! I admire its deep tradition.

 
At 6:38 PM PDT, Blogger Viva Scrapper! said...

I love family gatherings...Looks like a lovely time.

 
At 1:53 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Looks beautiful. The first thing I noticed was the Haggadah (although I must admit, I didn't realize it was the great CH on the cover!)

You guys look like you really had fun. I envy you.

(Did Marilyn go blond on me!?!!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery