Thursday, May 08, 2008

Pix From The Car

Mid-City to East Santa Monica

Living in Los Angeles means that I do lots and lots of driving. This is a horizontal town. You've seen my banner, above...."From Boyle Heights to the Beach....from Manchester to Mulholland...." It's a wide town. I always want to experience EVERYTHING L.A. has to offer, so I drive around quite a bit. If we had a reliable and all-encompassing transit system, believe me, I'd be on it. One day, maybe.

I work in Santa Monica and live in Mid-City, about an 8-mile drive from home to work. This SHOULD be a 15 minute trip on the freeway. Somedays, I'm stuck in traffic for over an hour. Yeah...it's just part of my day. I amuse myself by singing to the radio and to CDs, listening to Jonesy's JukeBox or NPR. When I'm completely stopped in traffic I've been known to knit or crochet a few rows. Since the advent of digital cameras, I've been snapping pix of quirky roadside stuff. Don't be pickin' your nose in your car if I'm in the lane next to you!!!

The other day, on the Cloverfield off-ramp of the westbound SM freeway, I spotted this "Baboo" sticker on the lane indicator sign. I always call Larry "My Sweet Baboo" after the "Peanuts" cartoon by Charles Schulz. Charlie Brown's sister, Sally has a crush on Lucy Van Pelt's brother, Linus. Sally always calls Linus her Sweet Baboo.
I love it when taggers are sentimental and sweet.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 2:52 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha! Ellen, that is so funny.

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 3:37 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it, a Metro pass is $3 a day and will take you all over town. A commute to work is a great time to knit and be entertained with your ipod. I travel 8 miles to and from work, 2 buses, and resent the days I have to drive. Even 2 or 3 days a week lessens nasty emissions and congestion and will put more yarny $$$ in your wallet!

karin - LA through and through!!!

 
At 11:42 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen! I found your blog! It was so nice to meet you along with the other West Hollywood knitters. Thanks for welcoming me.

 
At 12:39 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up in Santa Monica, first at Main St and Bicknell, then moved to two blocks from the SM airport, then at 28 moved to Ventura, and now I live in San Diego. Looking at that sign, I am reminded of just how icky people there can be. It's disgusting and makes me somewhat sad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery