Thursday, June 25, 2009

Signs on Sepulveda

Signs on Sepulveda Blvd., Culver City
Larry and I had to run an errand over on the Westside last night, so we stopped in at Villa Italian for dinner. It's on Sepulveda, between Venice and Washington, just south of the entrance to the 405 Freeway, in Culver City. This has always been a busy commercial strip of Sepulveda Blvd., even before the 405 Freeway was built. The street is crazy with signs to catch your eye while speeding along. There's lots of cool 40's, 50's and 60's architecture and neon on this street too if you really look beneath the signs.

Villa Italian has been there forever. I was introduced to the place in the early 1970's. The pizza is deep-dish, baked in rectangular pans. We had the meatball, mushroom and green onion pizza along with a very nice Italian dinner salad. It was rich with mozzarella, but delicious.This family-owned restaurant changed management awhile back, but the friendly atmosphere and good service is still there. Anyplace that has a map of Italy on their placemats is OK by me!They cleaned up the place recently....new paint, new fixtures, new flooring. The best part....there's a FREE parking lot! Villa Italian is popular for family birthday parties. Even on a cloudy Wednesday night there was a celebration, accompanied by spumoni cake!

Yarny Stuff: On the yarny front, I added another small section to my Granny Babette Blanket. I just love working on this piece, even though I can't take it anywhere due to the massive amounts of yarn needed to work those colorful squares! I'll probably add a few more sections so it will fit the top of our kingsize bed.

Here's a glimpse of my new easy chair for the bedroom. It's grey, modern and comfortable. It fits perfectly in my "concentration niche."

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 12:56 PM PDT, Blogger Beth said...

I am so in love with the Granny Babette..Did you create a pattern before hand, or are you just piece-ing it together? Great work!!

 
At 3:11 PM PDT, Blogger susanc said...

I love the Granny Babette and your new chair. Is it hard sewing all those squares together?

 
At 3:18 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Beth and Susan!
thanks for the Babette compliments.
I copied the pattern from a photo I saw on Ravelry of this blanket:
http://alaskanpurl.blogspot.com/2009/04/noro-granny-afghan-is-finally-finished.html

Susan, for most of the blanket, I've been joining squares as I finish them using this method, found on the Attic24 blog: http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/joining-asyougo-sqaures.html

It's been a real time saver!

 
At 7:10 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Your blanket is really coming along beautifully. I love you chair for your nook. It looks very comfy.

 
At 9:37 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the blanket is coming along beautifully! Mine is not coming along so fast, but the center portion that uses actual granny squares is exactly half done.

We used to love Villa Italian when our kids were in grammar school - we lived right up the street and could walk down for dinner. It was perfect for those nights when they had sleepovers. You could feed a bunch of hungry kids for not too much and it tasted great.

 
At 10:45 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love love love your granny crocheted blanket. I like your style and my husband just said over my shoulder, "What chair is that? Where is it from?" We could use something like that in our bedroom as well!
Cheers,
Tracey

 
At 8:50 AM PDT, Blogger carlita dee said...

I love your concentration niche! Oh, what a glorious idea. The chair is beautiful.

I am also salivating over your Babette. To die for colors, and the mix of sizes make it so interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery