Monday, September 14, 2009

Crochet Weekend

Beth and her Seraphina Shawl

I attended three different Stitch 'n Bitch meet-ups this weekend! Phew! My crochet hand is aching! Saturday WeHo SnB at the Original Farmers Market in the morning was great! We had a nice sized crowd. I met up with Christine and a few others early for breakfast at Loteria Grill, then we headed upstairs to knit and crochet with the group.
The Fairview Knitters group in Santa Monica later in the day was really a surprise! There must have been at least 20 people attending. We usually have between 6 and 10 people. Wow! All of a sudden, we're popular. Shout out to Meri, Jenna and Brenda who shlepped across the City to attend!
On Sunday, my Sometimes Sunday crochet group met. By then, my carpal tunnel set it, so I decided to start yet another project with a larger crochet hook. I find that when I crochet with a large hook and ease up my death-grip, my hands appreciate it.
It's count-down time for holiday gifts. This year all my Knit Grrlz are getting shawls made from various sock yarns. Lately, I've been obsessed with Noro sock yarns. I've been working on a triangle shawl with a black, rust, gray and burgundy Noro Silk Garden Sock yarn, size "I" hook. I started this shawl using double crochet stitches and then after about 10 rows, switched to treble crochet stitches. LOVE the trebles! The shawl is very drapey.
Noro Silk Garden Sock Yarn Triangle Shawl
After seeing Beth's Seraphina Shawl in progress (top), using Paton's Soy Wool Stripes yarn, I was inspired to start yet another Seraphina Shawl using more Noro Silk Garden Sock Yarn in the most beautiful combination of colors. I'm using a size "G" hook for this shawl. Beth has only been crocheting for a few months. She's really taken to it and is always researching new patterns. I'm so proud of her progress. Thanks for the re-inspiration, Beth!

Noro Silk Garden Sock Yarn Seraphina Shawl

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

At 1:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are absolutely beautiful! That pattern works great with variegated. Must relearn the hook.

 
At 2:16 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the crochet compliments, Jamie! I'll be glad to give you a few crochet pointers anytime you want to relearn the hook!

 
At 4:40 PM PDT, Blogger Annette said...

You're a crocheting machine Ellen! Sadly, my Babette is being ignored.

 
At 5:57 PM PDT, Blogger Sorka said...

Very nice.. very very nice.. you make me wish I could be a crochet machine too!

 
At 10:42 AM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Shawlapolooza of a post!

They are all gorgeous.

 
At 3:29 PM PDT, Anonymous donna said...

I really must pull out my crochette needles again!

 
At 8:54 AM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Two words: YUM MEE!!

 
At 7:42 PM PDT, Blogger ChelleC said...

You're wanting me to crochet, too, and I'm not even good at it!!! Seraphina continues to call to me. Happy New Year.

 
At 10:32 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

crocheter interested in a live/work studio in san pedro arts district can contact me at robinalert@yahoo.com. robin hinchliffe

 
At 9:30 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you post the pattern for your noro sock yarn shawl in treble crochet? I am still learning so I can't tell from the pic.

 
At 1:28 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Anonymous,

The shawl above in black, grey and cranberry is the FLoaty Fall Scarf by Susan Jeffers from "Crochet Today" Magazine, October 2009. Basically, it's a granny triangle shawl, using treble crochets instead of double crochet stitches.

 
At 5:08 PM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

hi! just came across your blog and the Noro Silk Garden Sock Yarn Seraphina Shawl is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!
i wanted to ask if you remember ANYTHING about which color's you bought of the Noro Silk Garden line??? because believe it or not, they're still available and i would LOVE to make your shawls colors! and how many skeins did it take?
MAN i love that shawl!! :-)
wonderful job.

 
At 5:29 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Kindred Cottage. I think the Silk Garden Sock Yarn I used for this Seraphina shawl may have been discontinued. Noro #276 is close to this colorway though. I believe I used 2 skeins. Thanks for the compliments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery