Friday, April 16, 2010

Vintage Photo Friday - Potholders

Lately, I've been hypnotized by the 2010 Ravelry Potholder Swap. I'm going to join the swap next year, for sure! All of the potholders are made from 100% cotton and double-sided for extra heat protection. Here's how the swap works: You join the Potholder Swap Group on Ravelry, crochet five potholders to the group's specifications, send your potholders to the moderator with postage, envelope, etc. The moderator sorts out all of the potholders and sends you five potholders made by others in the swap group!
I've always loved the whimsical look of vintage, crocheted potholders. I've made a few of these in years past, but I always gave them away as gifts. In this year's Ravelry Swap I was surprised at the clever way the crocheters updated these vintage patterns using very modern colors.

A couple of years ago, my good friend Natalie gave me a vintage potholder that she found in an antique shop. I love it, but it's almost too pretty to use! It's displayed in my kitchen as artwork.
Natalie's Gift
The other day I used some leftover wool, made a double-sided hexagon potholder. After felting, it only shrunk about an inch. It's the perfect size for use in my kitchen.
Wool Hexie Potholder, pre-felting
Wool Hexie Potholder, felted
Have a wonderful weekend!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 5:24 PM PDT, Blogger Sorka said...

Potholder mania!! Cool!

 
At 5:27 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great vintage potholder books!

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 6:00 PM PDT, Blogger ChelleC said...

That is darling. I too have been swept away by the potholder fascination because I JUST missed getting into the swap in time. Next year for me for sure. I've already ordered The Ultimate Potholder book from Amazon.

Love the hexagon you made and felted. Cute!

 
At 11:34 AM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Potholder mania is right. I noticed your ravelry queue just got a bit longer.

I am glad you like your vintage potholder when I saw it I knew where it's next home would be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery