Thursday, November 11, 2010

Staycation

Beautiful Los Angeles, View North from the Baldwin Hills Overlook

I've been on vacation from work this week. Of course, it's not a TOTAL vacation. I didn't travel anywhere. I had some doctor and dentist appointments and a meeting to attend. It is nice to be able to wander the City a bit, during the work week when the traffic is light.
The weather has been strange this week, but on Monday it was clear and beautiful. While doing errands I drove up to the Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook just off Jefferson Blvd. in Culver City. Wow! The views are panoramic and gorgeous!

On Wednesday I met up with Ana and the Vineyard Knitters for some yarny concentration in the morning. At lunchtime Ana and I went to her fave restaurant, Cafe Brasil, on Washington Blvd. for a delicious lunch.

Ana and her faboo iPhone @ Cafe Brasil
Chicken Milanesa with Pasta & Vegies

I left Ana and did some more shopping on the Westside. Larry and I finally saw "The Social Network" at the Culver Pacific Theaters. It was a highly entertaining movie.
Today I met up with my new-net friend, Glennis and we toured the Garden of Oz in Hollywood. This is a private mosaic garden. No matter how many times I visit the Garden, I always see something new inside. We had lunch at Palms Thai after our tour. Palms Thai is the home of the Thai Elvis. He performs during the evening....no lunchtime performances. Darn.
I'm looking forward to the WeHo SnB tonight. I am NOT looking forward to spending 4 hours at the dentist tomorrow morning. Ugh. At least I have the weekend for fun!
Glennis @ The Garden of Oz

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 5:31 PM PST, Blogger Glennis said...

Hey!! you beat me to it, Ellen!!!

I sent you some nice pics of you!

Glennis

 
At 6:01 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen,
It sounds like a wonderful staycation! (except Dr. & Dentist)
Have fun at SnB tonight.
hugs,
Darcy

 
At 8:51 PM PST, Anonymous Suzette said...

I must get to the Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook and the Garden of Oz one of these days!
Suzette

 
At 9:55 PM PST, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Sounds like a very fun Ellen week, sorry you have to get to know your dentist so well. I hope it goes by quickly & painlessly.

 
At 2:17 PM PST, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

I love staycations and looks like you had a good time. I had 3 days when I came back from NYC. Also I am all too familiar with long periods in the dentists chair...ugh. I hope it wasn't too bad but I am sure it was no fun.

 
At 10:11 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen,
My brother and I grew up in West LA in the 50s -80s. We were trying to come up with some of the shops on Pico and perhaps you can help. Where was Rebozo's rest. located? What were the shops located between Newberrys and the Drug store in the mini mall on Westwood and Pico? Thanks for any insight.

Joel

 
At 11:02 AM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Joel,
I asked my West L.A. friend, Jo Anne for a few of her memories of Rebozo's Restaurant and Pico Blvd. Here is our combined answer:

"In regards to Rebozo's I believe it was just west of Overland on Pico. Also Jr's Deli used to be on Pico when it first opened. I think where Maria's Kitchen is? In the little strip center between Overland and Westwood where Newberry's was, there was also an Innes shoe store, Drug King was on the west end and other than Newberry's, See's and Little Folk Shop, Eileen Feather Exercise, I cannot remember what else was there. I do remember a store on Pico called the Chest and Uncle Jim's Toy House. Also the Blue Chip stamp store and Scott's."

Hope this jogs your memory, Joel!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery