Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Afghans

Mitered Cross Squares

Afghans are a knitter's and crocheter's best friends. You always need another one. If you make them in sections, they are easy projects to carry around. You can use so many different types of designs to make a fantastic afghan. I've made tons of afghans over the years....many for gifts. We must have at least 10 afghans in our home right now.
Lately, I've been obsessing over Kay Gardiner's Mitered Cross Afghan. The design is taken from a classic quilt pattern. There's a group on Ravelry dedicated to this pattern. All proceeds from the sale of this $5 pattern are donated to Mercy Corps in 2011. These donations are designated for Japan earthquake / tsunami relief and thereafter to support Mercy Corps' other relief work. So far, over $12,000 has been raised for this worthwhile cause just from the sale of Kay's pattern.
The pattern is very well-written, even for a beginning knitter. I'd never really knit mitered squares before and I LOVE them! This is one addicting pattern, especially with self-striping yarn!


I'm trying to use yarn from my stash for these squares. I'm using Karyn's scratchy gray wool for the borders. I've used some Bernat Mosaic in the "Psychedelic" colorway for two squares. Now, I'm working on a third square using my fave Noro Kureyon 185 colorway.


I also recently finished another afghan for a friend who loves gray! The squares are made from Vanna's Choice yarn in the "Oatmeal" colorway...very tweedy. The borders are LionBrand Homespun, dark gray and very boucle'-like. I like the mix of textures. I crocheted a lacy border to give it a more feminine look, even though it's for a couple. I couldn't help myself and had to add one square with a touch of aqua in the center. It's my signature.

Afghan Props and location by LorFry

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 3:30 PM PDT, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Ooo, your miters are gorgeous. I love the gray with the brights. It IS addicting, though, right? I can't stop knitting them.

 
At 10:14 PM PDT, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Love these!!
and the aqua square is juts the right touch.

 
At 9:29 AM PDT, Blogger Evelyn said...

Inspiring! I've got too many afghans on my hooks already, but I must may need to add a mitered one to my wips.

 
At 4:54 PM PDT, Blogger mj said...

Gorgeous!!! I wish I could take an afghan project on my trip, but I am limited on space!!

 
At 11:20 AM PDT, Blogger Tiffany said...

I love your mitered cross afghan! Such beautiful colors!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery