Thursday, August 25, 2011

My Name is E-L-L-E-N


Every so often I go to the coffee place for a Chai Tea Latte. If I'm early for work or if I just feel like treating myself I'll skip over to Tully's or Starbucks. When the barista asks for my name, I always spell it out, E-L-L-E-N. My cuppa invariably comes back to me with EILEEN, ELAINE OR HELEN written on it.
Being a language stickler, I was really getting tired of this. So the next time I went to the coffee place I said that my name was JOAN. How could they get a simple name like JOAN wrong? When my Chai came up I heard the guy yelling out, "JUAN, JUAN, your Chai is ready." Oy! This sounds like a Larry David bit from "Curb Your Enthusiasm."

From now on, just call me PAM when you see me at Starbucks!

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At 3:58 PM PDT, Anonymous Suzette said...

Ha Ha. I rarely go to Starbucks but when I do, I'm just Sue. Coincidentally, I've just started crocheting coasters.

 
At 4:34 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Pam sounds like the perfect coffee alter ego.

 
At 4:34 PM PDT, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

OK, so I start reading this and one of my biggest pet peeves is being called Joan when my name is Jo Anne and then bam, what do you write but Joan!! I must say that I never get Juan.... How do they get Helen when you actually spell out E-L-L-E-N?? Not listening??

 
At 5:03 PM PDT, Blogger Barbara said...

Sorry for your frustration, but thanks for the laugh! I really needed it.

 
At 8:24 PM PDT, Blogger Jean said...

Totally understand, you'd think with a simple name like Jean - how wrong could they get, mostly I see
Gene, Jan, John, or Gee - maybe all the coffee grinding has made their hearing fuzzy. Had to laugh

 
At 10:28 PM PDT, Blogger Abby Hansen said...

My last drink had "Happy" written on it. HAPPY????

 
At 3:41 AM PDT, Blogger MomWaldsPlace said...

I found out recently that folks are creating unique "coffee names". It never occurred to me that you don't have to use your real name. For a moment in time we can be anybody we have ever wanted to be. Some days I feel like being "Lolita". Today I might be simply "Beautiful".

 
At 7:44 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hahahaha! Abby! The coffee people are describing your disposition! Happy is so sweet!

 
At 6:39 PM PDT, Blogger Norah said...

I wonder why the Starbucks in Seattle don't ask us for our names (at least not the ones I've been to.)

 
At 2:20 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:26 AM PDT, Blogger JCMurray said...

My name is Joan, my mother's name is JoAnn, and I answer to anything that starts with a J and has an N in it anywhere - Jean, Janine, Joanne, Jan, etc. I usually just spell it to them.

 
At 11:16 AM PDT, Anonymous Leslie said...

Lovely to meet you, Pam!

 
At 3:13 AM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

My name is Pam and my boyfriend's name is Ellen. Nice! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery