Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Signage

Norge Village Ball, West Los Angeles

I'm obsessed with vintage signage in Los Angeles. I've written about this subject numerous times. The other day I was having a fish taco at Wahoo's on Wilshire Boulevard and Westgate in WLA. When I walked out to the parking lot I noticed this Norge Village ball! I hadn't seen one of these in decades. I guess I don't drive down Wilshire Blvd. that often. Anyway, I snapped a photo and looked up the history of the Norge Laundry online and found this fascinating site. I remember Norge Villages being all over the L.A. area. So many of them are gone now.
I love how many places kept the Norge balls but altered them to fit their various businesses!

Norge Ball Signage Reuse

I remember the Norge Balls being lit at night AND spinning! What's your favorite vintage sign in Los Angeles?

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 3:40 PM PDT, Anonymous Suzette said...

When I was a kid, and before we had our own washer and dryer, I'm pretty sure we went to a Norge Laundromat somewhere on the eastside of L.A. (though we lived in Hollywood). As a kid, I was fascinated with the "spinning" neon on the round Coca-Cola sign on Hollywood Boulevard. I was bummed when they changed it to a square!

 
At 9:32 PM PDT, Blogger Christina said...

Felix, near the 110 freeway! I hope he's still there; I think it was a car dealership. As a wee one, I always looked forward to seeing Felix as he was my favorite cartoon character.

 
At 7:51 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Christina, Yes Felix Chevrolet is still on Figueroa St., near USC. The Felix sign is legendary! Inside the dealership there are larger than life models of Felix the Cat that are on wheels. They can be rolled around the showroom. I like to call them the Dancing Felixes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery