Friday, August 05, 2011

Vintage Photo Friday

Lawrence and Ethel Bloom, Hollywood, 1959

When I was small my grandparents lived on Sunset Boulevard near Highland Avenue in Hollywood, right across the street from Hollywood High School. They were pioneers in the multi-use loft concept so popular in Los Angeles now!
The building at 6816 Sunset Boulevard was a duplex downstairs. One side was my grandparents' living room, dining room, kitchen and bedroom. The other side was my grandfather's legal offices. I do remember the back of the office side of the duplex having a sun room for Grandma's sewing machine and also another bedroom. Upstairs there were four single apartments that he rented out. My Great Aunt Luba lived in one of the apartments.
On Sundays the whole family would visit...cousins, aunts, uncles. We'd see Grandma and Grandpa downstairs then rush upstairs to hang out with Aunt Luba. I remember the driveway being really long and perfect for roller skating. My Grandpa had his workshop in the garages behind the house. When the family moved to Los Angeles in 1919, they first lived in Boyle Heights. After that, they moved to Hollywood and then to West Los Angeles. They circled back to Hollywood in the early 1950's. This was the last residence for my grandparents.
I often drive by this building. Now, it's a few different businesses downstairs and the upstairs still looks like it might be apartments. The front lawn and white picket fence have been replaced by a small parking lot. Progress.

Ell-Ken-Hlywd -59
Ellen and Ken Bloom, Hollywood, 1959
Hollywood High School in the background

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 12:11 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen, your family history is amazing. Love to read about it.

Hugs,
Christine G.

 
At 12:41 PM PDT, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

LOVE IT!! Have a great weekend.

 
At 6:03 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What wonderful memories. Hold them tight!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery