Thursday, October 20, 2011

Steampunk Style

Victorian Era Shawls and Capes

Steampunk style has been fairly popular among the Sci-Fi set for awhile now. The look is characterized by Victorian clothing, machines and elements that have gears, levers and are powered by steam. Envision the stories of H.G. Wells and Jules Verne, also "The Wild Wild West" TV show of the '60s and the recent movies. I've always liked this genre of Sci-Fi that harkens back to pre-space age gadgets, gizmos, machinery and Victorian costumes of the Old West.

Victorian Steampunk Costume Party, Glendale 2009
I recently crocheted a capelet pattern called Chanson en Crochet. I just LOVE the look of this little cape. It's perfect to just throw over your shoulders when you're chilly or even over a coat when it's really cold outside. I modified the pattern of Chanson en Crochet a bit. I was mystified by some of the directions in the pattern. I know! I've been crocheting FOREVER and even I could not figure out the flower section in this pattern. After looking at many corrected patterns, I gave up and just crocheted a grid and then sewed on some separately crocheted puffy flowers.

Ellen's Steampunk Capelet, modeled by Miss Lisa

To make this pattern look more Steampunkish, I'm going to add some gear-like buttons. I'll be at Mood on Saturday checking out their button section, thanks to Tori who sent me a Groupon for the famous store!

Steampunk Button

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

At 4:04 PM PDT, Blogger BluOnyxExpressions said...

That is very pretty and thanks for helping us to understand "SteamPunk"

 
At 4:06 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks, Brenda! I'm obsessed with this style, lately!

 
At 4:06 PM PDT, Blogger BluOnyxExpressions said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12:11 AM PDT, Blogger Anora said...

WOW..
That's look great... Nice to see this..The color is really very nice..

Halloween Scavenger hunt

 
At 5:26 PM PST, Blogger carrie said...

Were you guys in West Hollywood on Halloween? I think I had a picture made with you. I was dressed as Amelia Earhart.

 
At 5:29 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Carrie,
No we were not in West Hollywood on Halloween. We were at home, handing out candy to the neighborhood kiddies.

Ellen B.

 
At 12:21 PM PDT, Blogger Betan LeClaire said...

Where did you get that fabulous button!? I live in San Francisco, but that button and ones like it might be worth a drive down south...

 
At 12:24 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Betan. Yes, that is a great button. It's not my button, I found the image online. Sorry! This may be a button that a jeweler altered.

 
At 12:40 PM PDT, Blogger Betan LeClaire said...

Thanks, Ellen. I'll simply have to alter one myself. Hello, project-for-this-weekend!

 
At 8:02 PM PDT, Blogger Clipping path service said...

That is creative. Great work like it. Thanks for share.
african kente fabric

 
At 4:48 AM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery