Monday, July 23, 2012

San Gabriel Valley Modern

Bullocks, Pasadena

On Sunday we toured the San Gabriel Valley with many of our friends from the Modern Committee of the L.A. Conservancy. This was a special tour organized and arranged by Chris and Charlene Nichols. Chris grew up in the SGV, so he was the PERFECT tour guide. We met in Little Tokyo at 10:30 a.m. and proceeded to Pasadena.

Clearman's Northwoods Inn, San Gabriel

We concentrated on mid-20th century architecture of the 1950's-1970's. We stopped at a few places and received mini-lectures about various buildings and their architectural beginnings. Some of the highlights:

The Aztec Hotel, Monrovia
The Donut Hole, La Puente
Bahooka's Restaurant, Rosemead
Vincent Lugo Dinosaur Park, San GabrielYou can view more photos here.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 3:49 PM PDT, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

I love the fake snowy roof at the North Woods Inn. It reminds me of a place I used to waitress at in Pennsylvania called the Steak 'n' Rib.

 
At 11:22 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I grew up across the street and uphill from Vincent Lugo Park; took my kids there, played ball at the baseball field, and used the broken gate behind the. Field to reach McKinley Elementary. schoool.
I also enjoyed your clipping on theFred Archer School lunching at MacArthur Park. My uncle attended the Archer School and, after his passing, I inherited what was left of his prints and negatives.
Thanks for the return "home!"
Richard Ray
Vancouver, WA

 
At 7:28 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

THanks for the comments, Richard! I always like hearing from residents of SoCal!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery