Friday, December 28, 2012

Vintage Photo Friday


I'm still on vacation!  Everyday seems like Saturday to me.  I'm all turned around.  I almost forgot that today was Vintage Photo Friday!  
One of my spectacular holiday gifties from my Sweet Larry was a hard-bound copy of "Beverly Hills is My Beat" (1960) by former BH Police Chief, Clinton H. Anderson.  Anderson served on the force for 39 years. When I was around 11 years old I checked this book out of the BH Public Library.  I must have checked it out at least 6 or 7 more times in the next few years.  I wanted to read and re-read this fascinating book about crime in Beverly Hills.  I was captivated with the stories about crimes that occurred in MY little City on the very streets that I walked to and from school daily.


Each chapter details unsavory characters and their misdeeds including the murder of mobster Johnny Stompanato by actress Lana Turner's daughter, Cheryl (yeah, sure); the murder of Purple Gang Mobster, Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel in Virgina Hill's home on Walden Drive and more.  There are also chapters about mishaps (not necessarily crimes) involving  royalty and screen stars.

I dare say that this book, along with history learned from my Dad, fostered my love of Los Angeles history.  "Beverly Hills is My Beat" has had such a long-lasting impression on me that seven years ago I named my blog in honor of Chief Anderson's book.
The book is out of print now, but the BH Public Library may still have a copy!  Larry found my present on eBay.  He's so thoughtful.  Tonight I will re-read the mischievous deeds of the citizens of my home town.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery