Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Between the Holidays. Field Trip!

Magic Lamp Inn

I love days like this. It's a Tuesday. We're on vacation. Larry and I decided to check out some places we've been driving by for years. We took a leisurely drive out to Upland, California and checked out the Penny Lane Record Shop. It's the last existing one. Penny Lane is located in an industrial building. It's small, but they have some great LPs and good prices.  

Check out the hardware on that front door!

Next stop, lunch at the Magic Lamp Inn on Foothill Boulevard in Rancho Cucamonga. This is a classic red-leather booth place, very clubby and comfortable. The interior is AMAZING. My favorite is the round fire place, surrounded by curved booths and woodsy tables.  

We had a lovely lunch.  Our appetizer, crab cake with remoulade sauce was divine.  Larry ordered a salad with white fish and I had chicken cordon bleu.  Everything was yummy and served beautifully.  The staff was busy setting up for their New Year's Eve party. It was very festive. 
Crab cake with remoulade sauce

The stained glass windows, heavy wood paneling and details are not to be missed in this 1955 treasure.

We're big roots music fans and neither of us had ever visited the Folk Music Center in Claremont.  Wow!  What a vibe!  Great place.  I wish we lived closer.  I'd be there ALL the time. 
Folk Music Center, Claremont

The wall o' ukuleles was very impressive. They had instruments from all over the world including a wonderful collection of Indian instruments. We met the owner, Ellen Chase-Verdries, who also happens to be the mother of musician, Ben Harper.  She was lovely and very knowledgeable about the various instruments in the shop.



Downtown Claremont is really a charming little village. We walked around and did a bit more shopping before heading up the road.
Last stop, the Donut Man in Glendora. I'd been here before, but Larry never had. The place is legendary for their strawberry and peach donuts. Sadly, the season is over for those flavors.  They had apple and pumpkin donuts in season.  Larry opted for a glazed cruller. I had one bite. Divine!

Larry at The Donut Man
We had a wonderful day exploring the far reaches of Los Angeles County!

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 6:52 PM PST, Blogger janeray1940 said...

Can't believe it was your first visit to the Folk Music Center! Haven't been in years; it's where I got my first "good" uke. The owner/Ben Harper's mom gave me her own case for it, which I still use even though the uke has long since been re-homed.

 
At 7:30 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Remember, Marielle, I'm a west side girl. My folkie haunts back in the day, were McCabe's, the Ashgrove, Troubador, etc.

 
At 10:33 PM PST, Blogger Ally said...

I've driven past that restaurant many times on my way down to my mom's place. Looks exactly like I thought it would inside! What a fun day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery