Friday, May 13, 2016

Hody's - Vintage Photo Friday

Hody's Locations. Click on photo to make large

Why didn't my parents ever take us here? There were at least three locations that we could have visited, either of the restaurants on South La Brea Avenue or the famous one in Hollywood!  I don't even remember driving by the clown faced Hody's in Hollywood. We were in Hollywood almost every single weekend when I was a child to visit my Bloom grandparents. Harmph! I feel cheated. I want a clown mask to wear with lunch!
Oh well, Hody's looks like a kid-friendly place and lots of fun. Maybe that's why my brother and I were never taken there. Mom and Dad probably had enough of squirming children. They didn't need to be exposed to a restaurant-full of them!
Hody's Baldwin Hills. 3533 So. La Brea @ Rodeo Rd.
The founder of Hody's, Sidney Hoedemaker founded the restaurant chain in 1949. In 1955 he signed a 20 year lease for the property on the northwest corner of Hollywood and Vine. Hoedemaker had it remodeled extensively. It was the former Melody Lane Restaurant. 
Hoedemaker just happened to be the founder of the Pig 'n Whistle AND the Melody Lane, along with all of those Hody's Coffee Shops!

Hody's Hollywood. Hollywood and Vine
Take photos wherever you go this weekend and post them! We're preserving history here!

A memorable, vintage postcard from Hody's!
1962, Waitress at Hody's. Security Pacific Nat'l. Bank collection, LAPL


Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 2:37 PM PDT, Blogger ken bloom said...

The restaurant I remember most when we were little was Van de Kamps with the waitresses in their Dutch outfits. We went there a lot along with Richelor's, a great steak house and Rudi's, an Italian place with a sauce I've been trying to duplicate for decades. I get close but it's not quite there yet.

 
At 12:07 AM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow..... what a great restaurant Hody :) really a kids friendly place. I would love to visit there.. for sure :) Thanks for sharing such beautiful pics and hody's description. So nicely explained that I would definitely do a next visit there :)
Cheers
los angeles photo studio

 
At 12:11 PM PDT, Blogger Arosebug said...

My family had some of our happiest memories at Hody's! My father, Jay SanChez, and his brother, Fred SanChez were general manager and assistant general manager respectively. My sister even got married at the Lankershim location that had a ballroom that held 250 people! It even had a european trained chef! It was much more than a kid friendly coffee shop. It was a serious restaurant, a coffee shop and a bar/saloon. What a great place and wish it were still here.

 
At 12:14 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for your comment, Arosebug! I wish Hody's were still here too!

 
At 8:25 AM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

Place out of my childhood memories. Wish it were still open.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery