Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Clean and Simple

I used to sew. A lot. Once upon a time I crafted jackets from tapestries with intricate collars and cuffs. I made custom Hawaiian shirts for Mr. Larry. I even sewed trousers (with zippers and plackets) for myself! Yes, I was the original Renaissance woman...sewing, knitting, crocheting, cooking, painting, playing banjo and guitar and more. The years and other obligations have taken much of my free time. I became more obsessed with yarny pursuits over the years and sewing fell by the wayside. It has taken me reading a knitting blog to make me want to sew again.
My new patterns by Sonya Philip

A couple of weeks ago I read a post by guest blogger, Sonya Philip on the Mason-Dixon Knitting blog. It's an article about color and wearing colors that make you happy. It wasn't so much about color for me. I always wear color. It was the style of clothes that Sonya Philip designs and her sewing patterns that inspired me! Sonya designs clothes. She also knits. Her clothing designs are clean and simple. She uses colorful fabrics that delight her. She layers her clothes. The different fabrics she uses become a painter's palette of color. 
The simple, easy to read instruction booklet

I spent much of my birthday week vacation shopping. I was looking for a few cute summer tops to pair with my go-to black slacks and jeans. I found one or two items that were just OK, but not fab. This is when I decided to go back to sewing and choose my own fabrics and styles, just for me!
It's summer. I'll be starting my sewing expedition with a few stash fabrics I've been hanging onto for years!
Another impetus back to my Elna machine is that my friend, Natalie is helping with the grand opening of a new fabric and sewing shop called SEW TOGETHER. It's conveniently located right next door to my favorite yarn shop in Los Angeles, THE KNITTING TREE. Perfect! Sew that outfit then find some yarn next door to make the perfect scarf or other accessory to go with my new ensemble!

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 8:25 PM PDT, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

This is so inspiring. No it's SEW inspiring! I've been inching closer and closer to seeing my clothes again, too. I suspect watching yours will get me to oil up my machine (that and a new fabric store here, too)

 
At 11:46 PM PDT, Blogger betty said...

Good for you for taking up sewing again! I used to sew tons of stuff and then stopped for most of my adult life but I inched back into it a few years ago. It was partly due to all the sewing blogs but also because of shows like Project Runway that got me going again. Also, I have had much more free time in recent years. Nowadays, I love to make spring and summer dresses and tops and I primarily knit for the fall/winter wardrobe.

 
At 9:23 AM PDT, Blogger Brenda said...

Very cool! I look forward to seeing what you make!

 
At 9:55 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

YOU have also been a SEWING inspiration to me, Betty! You make the most darling dresses with such great fabrics!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery