Friday, August 04, 2017

Home Town


Just feeling a bit nostalgic today about the way my home town used to be. Sigh.
Wilshire and Beverly Drive, 1962
Many childhood and teen expeditions were spent here on Beverly Drive. Hot dogs at Newberry's lunch counter, shopping at Lerner's, movies at the Beverly Theater and more.
The old / new BH Library, 1965
This Library was replaced by a huge new complex, including the library, offices and a parking structure. Before the structure, above was built, the BH Library was in the City Hall building, across the street. I just LOVED the mosaics on the side of the building, representing books on shelves. I wish the mosaic had been save. Double sigh.
Memorial Park, across from the BH Hotel
The Memorial Park is still here. maintained beautifully. It's a nice place to sketch, knit or read.
Wilshire Blvd. and Rodeo Dr., BH
I only ate at this particular Brown Derby once. This corner is now part of the One Rodeo shopping complex.

The Electric Fountain at Wilshire & Santa Monica Blvd., BH
The Electric Fountain was a REALLY BIG DEAL when I was a child. My Dad used to drive out of his way at night just so we could see the lights change. It was refurbished a few years ago and is still spectacular!
I just passed a milestone birthday. I'm trying to look ahead into the future, however thoughts and images from the past flood my memory. 



Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:16 PM PDT, Blogger count reeshard said...

Though it is not my hometown, perhaps I have a sense of nostalgia and underlying disappointment in the present nearly as strong as yours, owing to the long-standing symbiosis between Los Angeles and my hometown, Detroit. That, and watching 'North By Northwest' on TCM recently, couldn't help but notice the red & gold carpet running the length of the platform next to the 20th Century Limited. Perhaps things were better then. Finally, some thoughts in a similar vein by another good writer-about-L.A., Eve Babitz: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qvpyqb/a-rare-interview-with-the-legendary-eve-babitz

Great post as always, Ellen!

 
At 7:15 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks, Richard! The Eve Babitz article is great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery